From http://www.stdtime.com/barcode.htm. Here is a list of 16 things you will get by scanning just four barcodes. Ever wonder what the four barcodes are? They are: Username, task name, username again when the task is finished, and the word STOP. That's it.
After scanning only those four barcodes, you will get at least sixteen results from this timekeeping program.
Here is a list of the sixteen things from this video:
1. How long employees worked
2. How long products take to manufacture
3. How long you spend on each kind of work
4. How far into the manufacturing cycle are you
5. What department your product is in
6. Who worked on it last
7. When your job started
8. When it will likely end
9. Percent complete
10. If somebody is working on it right now
11. Salary costs
12. Estimated client cost
13. How much time you spent working for a client
14. How much time each department spends on your product
15. Ad hoc ancillary intel
16. Emails when jobs take too long
With this kind of results, you can track shop floor jobs, manufacturing status, and all the time you spent on work orders. Just grab a barcode scanner and give it a try.
Also see http://www.stdtime.com